Congressman Ron Paul has had a busy week. Wednesday, he held a press conference to endorse not one, but three candidates for president — none of whom was John McCain. Today, Paul receives his own coronation as the next chronological entry in our Presidential Loser Series!
Paul, to the shock of many of his high-level campaign officers, is a Republican. While his young supporters are known for throwing neo-hippie events like Ronstock '08 and designing flower-power iconography for him, Paul himself is better known for:
* Leading Ronald Reagan delegations in the 1980s
* Attempting to abolish the Department of Education
* Voting in favor of school prayer
* Getting an "A" rating from the NRA
* Crusading for a return to the Gold Standard
* Proposing a constitutional amendment allowing states to ban flag burning
* Trying to deny citizenship to the U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants
None of that deterred his loyal supporters, who adored him for opposing the Iraq War and reminding them of their doddering grandfathers. They showed their love by contributing record amounts of money to his campaign, which stunned his rivals. It is unclear exactly what Paul did with all this money, since most of his advertising appeared in the form of homemade banners draped across highway overpasses.
At the very least, the money kept Paul in the race longer than almost any other Republican. He lasted until March 6th, dropping out via a video posted on his website.
We'll now turn the forum over to angry Ron Paul supporters who have a Google alert on his name and are appalled that we called him a "loser"…
Tags: Catching Up With a Loser, Ron Paul