This morning, former Secretary of State and technically-still-a-Republican Colin Powell endorsed Barack Obama for re-election on CBS, saying, "You know, I voted for him in 2008 and I plan to stick with him in 2012, and I'll be voting for he and Vice President Joe Biden next month."
Powell's support isn't expected to change the fundamentals of the race, but it comes as a relief to an Obama campaign that would have been embarrassed by Powell's refusal to reprise his 2008 endorsement.
And it comes as an even bigger relief to those of us who were beginning to have too much faith in humanity and needed a reason to become misanthropes again. For it's an iron law of politics that whenever an African-American endorses the president, the
goodpeople at the Free Republic will make you want to cleanse your eyeballs with soap…
* "Color is thicker than water."
* "Rectum? Dang’ed near Colin!"
* "Was justing thinking about Powell the other day and winding if he would maintain his silence through Election Day or step out and double down looking like a fool. Now we know. He places race ahead of all else."
* "what you do expect? it's not like Obama changed color these past 4 years! Powell is a traitor."
* "Birds of a feather. Affirmative action guys got to stand together."
I've no idea why Colin Powell would ever want to distance himself from such intellects.
Photo by Julia Schmalz/Bloomberg – Contributor/Getty Images
Tags: Barack Obama, Colin Powell, Racism