Since the official Department of State blog launched in 2007, literally hundreds of people have visited DipNote to read carefully-phrased posts about American foreign policy. Now the blog is getting a redesign and possibly a new name, but–alas–only State employees were asked to submit names for the jazzed-up site coming in 2013.
This is truly a shame, since we had so many great ideas for blog names and content to feature at relaunch, such as:
* BuzzState, featuring "15 Cats That Look Like Heads of State"
* Diplomatic Pouches from Last Night, including this submission: "LOL I am so baked right now, XOXO – Ambassador Rudolf Bekink, Royal Netherlands Embassy"
* Sttdprtmntr, which is American policy expressed entirely in GIFs
* Hillary's Livejournal, with the top entry: "Waiting for the Senate to confirm my successor. Mood: pensive."
* HuffState, featuring the all-important "Francois Hollande sideboob" vertical
* Justin Bieber Kim Kardashian Nude Naked Free iPad, featuring "Ron Paul Sex Viagra Taylor Swift Gangnam Style and What It Means for South Asian Food Security"
* From the Desk of Secretary Bill Ayers, leading with "13 Reasons John McCain Should Have Shut Up About Susan Rice"
* The Slate Department, featuring a post titled "Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Is America's Strongest Ally"
Though we weren't allowed to submit our suggestions, the State Department is allowing the public to vote on four official entries: Unclassified: The State Department Blog, Statecraft, Masters of State and Dipnote. Voting ends later today, so you should go vote, even though our suggestions are better.
Photo by Stefan Rousseau/WPA Pool/Getty Images
Tags: Hillary Clinton, Internet, State Department