On Wednesday, the Washington Press Club Foundation hosted its 69th Annual Congressional Dinner, an event where reporters bring members of Congress as their "dates." It's not as exciting as the White House Correspondents Dinner, so it's best to think of it as junior prom — all the sweaty awkwardness of the real thing, but even fewer attendees manage to score.
Nevertheless, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) and Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) were in fine form as they addressed the gathering:
* Chaffetz went there: "I'm told that Django Unchained is not a dramatization of Ron Paul's newsletters.”
* Chaffetz, who is Mormon: "My only wife, Julie, is here."
* Heitkamp on the crowd: "We don't have this many people in North Dakota."
* Chaffetz on why President Obama was not in attendance: "Wednesday night skeet shooting."
* Heitkamp: "You think I have an accent, I think I talk like Tom Brokaw."
* Chaffetz continued with his Oscar nominees shtick: "If you haven't seen Life of Pi, it's not about Chris Christie."
* Chaffetz on Congress: "I don't know why everyone hates us so much–it's not like we've done anything."
* The Chaffetz joke that makes us go hmmm: "The only advantage to being a Republican in this town is you get to park in the handicap spot."
* Chaffetz on Mitt Romney's choice of Monopoly pieces: He "picked the car, plus the dog to put on top of the car."
So: the funniest member of Congress may be a conservative Mormon Republican from Utah. No joke.
Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Tags: Heidi Heitkamp, Jason Chaffetz, Media