On Wednesday, the Obama campaign organized a fundraiser headlined by basketball superstars Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning and Carmelo Anthony to boost the president's fundraising efforts.
Rather, supporters who donated for a chance to attend the so-called "Obama Classic" thought they were going to a fundraiser being attended by current and former NBA stars. According to Fox Nation and the Free Beacon, they were in fact hanging out with "failed baseball player Michael Jordan and noted anti-police activist Carmelo Anthony."
Tags: Barack Obama, Baseball, Basketball, Fox News
Barack Obama, accompanied by the first lady, along with Malia, Joe Biden and former White House aide Reggie Love, attended an exhibition basketball game between the Brazilian and U.S. men's national teams at the Verizon Center last night. It was an opportunity to watch grown men other than Mitch McConnell and John Boehner try to block everything within reach.
But the situation turned politically perilous when the Barack and Michelle Obama were shown on the "Kiss Cam" and refused to smooch. A pool report confirmed that the couple "smiled," but "didn't kiss," the crowd booing in response. Quelle Horreur!
The president was given another chance on the Kiss Cam in the fourth quarter. This time, per the pool, "POTUS leaned in and kissed his wife. Cheers from crowd, cries of 'four more years' heard." Crisis averted, the jokes about how fortunate it was that, this time, David Cameron was not Obama's seatmate and guest of honor could now flow freely…but wait.
According to NY Times White House correspondent Peter Baker, the press pool was in the motorcade getting ready to leave the arena when they were brought back in, just in time to catch the second kiss. Does this mean that this moment of affection was not a spontaneous outburst of love but a cynical political maneuver?
There are so many questions. What did the camera operator know and when did he know it? Is he going to be our new ambassador to France as payback for his role in this do-over conspiracy? Can we really trust a president who would mislead us via the most genuinely American of media, a gimmicky camera that broadcasts couples forced into public displays of affection to thousands of people in a basketball arena?
Photo by Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post/Getty Images
Tags: Barack Obama, Basketball, Media, Michelle Obama, Sports, Washington DC
* Mitt Romney hears Wisconsin voters loud and clear: Let our houses burn down!
* A guy who was escorted away from a Romney event for screaming "Liar!" through a megaphone over and over again feels that he was disrespected by security guards.
* Florida Gov. Rick Scott is less popular with everyday people than a professional basketball player. That's got to hurt!
* Mitt Romney discovers charming new pastry thing called — and don't quote me on this — a doughnut?
Tags: Basketball, Education, Florida, Law & Order, Mitt Romney, Pork Barrel, Rick Scott, Sports, Wisconsin
Mitt Romney bravely declines to make any March Madness predictions…
"I'm not betting on this one, sorry… I'm sitting this one out."
In all fairness to Romney, this is probably at his handlers' insistence. I'd imagine it's the only way to keeping him from bragging about how many of his best friends own those universities.
Tags: Basketball, Mitt Romney, Quote Unquote, Sports
* Looking for a way to delight your prospective party nominee? Here's 30 sexy suggestions!
* Turns out Mitt Romney's so rich even his money gets luxurious vacations in the Caribbean.
* More evidence for an insider conspiracy to assassinate the public option.
* Kareem Abdul-Jabbar becomes world's tallest appointed global cultural ambassador.
* Well, in DC they say that the SOPA/PIPA congressional co-sponsors's hearts grew three sizes that day.
* Herman Cain and "Herman Cain" together at last!
Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Tags: Basketball, Foreign Policy, Health Care, Herman Cain, House of Representatives, Mitt Romney, Pork Barrel, Primaries, Republicans, Senate, SOPA, Sports, Stephen Colbert