* Looks like Jon Huntsman is in the final stages of molting into the Joe Lieberman of the GOP. Take note of how he will now begin storing unused integrity in his jowls.
* Apparently Rod Blagojevich thought he could get sex from Halle Berry in exchange for a Senate seat. Say what you will about the guy, but at least he was actively working to create jobs.
* Evangelical historian David Barton's new book The Jefferson Lies is getting pulled from shelves by the publisher due to findings that it's a bit too light on the Jefferson and heavy on the Lies.
* Download our free iPhone and iPad app Indecision Election Companion and jump up into the the Peanut Gallery — our liveblog/instant reaction arena — to watch and respond with us as Newt Gingrich talks about post-colonial imperialism or pre-Raphaelitian agnosticism or who even knows what on CBS's Face the Nation this Sunday morning.
Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Tags: Books, David Barton, Democratic National Convention, Jon Huntsman, Pork Barrel, Rod Blagojevich, Senate, Sex
I don't really get Mitt Romney's decision to make a special trip to England just so that he can insult its government and its people in as many ways as he can come up with. But hey, I've never been much of a long-term strategist.
Even so, I'm gonna say that building a time machine just so that he can go back in time to 2010 before his book No Apology was published just so that he throw this in this catty comment seems a tad excessive…
"England is just a small island. Its roads and houses are small. With few exceptions, it doesn't make things that people in the rest of the world want to buy. And if it hadn't been separated from the continent by water, it almost certainly would have been lost to Hitler's ambitions."
How much you wanna bet that right now he's got top men working on a perpetual motion machine capable of sticking his foot in his mouth an infinite amount of times between now and November?
Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Tags: Books, Mitt Romney, United Kingdom
Neil Barofsky, former Special Inspector General in charge of oversight of TARP, has written a juicy new book about the bailout and how it was handled–mishandled, rather, which is where the juicy parts come in.
We got an advance copy of Bailout: An Inside Account of How Washington Abandoned Main Street While Rescuing Wall Street, hitting shelves July 24. So what have we learned about the little (not little) bailout that could (or couldn't)?
Neil Barofsky is kind of a dick. Barofsky's former boss, U.S. Attorney Mike Garcia, had this to say about his employee's appointment as SIGTARP: "You can be kind of a dick sometimes, and they needed someone who could be kind of a dick."
Tim Geithner is a dick. Here is a partial list of words and phrases Barofsky uses to describe Tim Geithner and/or Tim Geithner's actions: "brusque," "bizarre," "sweaty," "twitchy," "utterly dismissive." Alas, the world may never know how Neil Barofsky really feels about Tim Geithner.
Tags: Banks, Books, Chuck Grassley, Economy, Elizabeth Warren, Indecision Book Club, Neil Barofsky, Obama Administration, TARP, Timothy Geithner
The Great Gatsby and Mitt Romney's fundraisers in the Hamptons, which included an event at the estate of Julia and David Koch in Southampton, New York, where the suggested contribution was $75,000 per couple.
One of these is an extended metaphor on cynicism, greed and the destruction of the American Dream amid an orgy of material excess. The other is a book we force upon high school freshmen.
Identify each quote's provenance as coming from East Hampton or the West Egg of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel…
1. "A woman in a blue chiffon dress poked her head out…'Is there a V.I.P. entrance? We are V.I.P.'
2. "I like to come," [the woman said]. "I never care what I do, so I always have a good time. When I was here last I tore my gown on a chair, and he asked me my name and address — inside of a week I got a package from Croirier's with a new evening gown in it."
3. "I've been everywhere and done everything."
4. "Tell them who's on your yacht this weekend! Tell him!"
Tags: Books, David Koch, Fundraising, Games and Challenges, Mitt Romney, Money, New York
Jon Stewart's interview with the First Lady continues after the jump.
The Daily Show airs Monday through Thursday at 11/10c.
Tags: Books, Health, Jon Stewart, Michelle Obama, The Daily Show, Video