* Sarah Silverman and Jim Gaffigan talk space with Neil deGrasse Tyson.
* The Petraeus Files: All the Photos, Chats, Poems, and Other Super-Secret Emails They Don't Want You to See, by Ted Travelstead, for your Kindle.
* A new idea in energy that lives off the grid.
* A visual guide to President Obama analogies.
* The Onion sits down with a terrorism grant winner.
* It's comedian Todd Glass's one year coming-out party.
* Dan Deacon reminds us what America looks like.
* When to tell your sex partner about your Civil War figurines.
* Congratulations to Donald Trump for exposing everyone's hatred of him.
Tags: Civil War, Daily Links, David Petraeus, Donald Trump, Energy & Oil, John Boehner, LGBT, NASA, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sarah Silverman, Terrorism, The New York Times, The Onion, Todd Glass
* Jodie Foster is an inspiration to everyone who is confusing.
* Yeah. There's an inauguration app.
* Bad Lip Reading is getting into sports.
* Martin Luther King was a righteous nerd.
* You'll watch this once, and then 20 more times today.
* David Brooks teaches and gets and lesson in humility.
* Recently discovered photographs of the Russian Revolution.
* Tim Heideker shows us how President Obama will get the flu.
* Each course of this week's Dinner Party is more amazing than the last.
Tags: Communism, Daily Links, David Brooks, Energy & Oil, Guns, Jodie Foster, LGBT, Martin Luther King, NRA, Russia, Sports, Star Trek, Texas, The Atlantic, Tim Heidecker
Coverage continues with Che Grovera and George Snuffleupagus after the jump.
The Daily Show airs Monday through Thursday at 11/10c.
Tags: Debates, Energy & Oil, Fox News, John Oliver, Jon Stewart, Lou Dobbs, Mitt Romney, Money, Muppets, PBS, Sesame Street, The Daily Show, Video, Wyatt Cenac
As a child of the Soviet Union, I'm intimately familiar with the joke, "We pretend to work, and they pretend to pay us." And for years, I've mocked conservatives who see the specter of Stalinization in every regulation promulgated by one of Barack Obama's czars. "It makes no sense," I snarked, "the communists hated czars!"
Lo' and behold, I will have to eat some government-issued crow, as Obama's Sharia socialism is finally coming to fruition. Not only are coal miners — the most prole-y of the stereotypical proletarian trades — being forced to go without pay in my adopted home of free minds and free markets, but they're being forced to do so in order to attend a "political education" session…
Tags: Barack Obama, Communism, Energy & Oil, Mitt Romney, Ohio
The Romney campaign has been criticized for not providing voters with specific policy plans, but now that he has Paul Ryan, Romney seems to have found a new voice with which to express his also new opinions.
And now this week, with Hurricane Isaac looming over the Republican National Convention, there couldn't be a better time for Romney to unveil a fossil-fuel heavy policy that says nothing whatsoever about climate change…
"If I’m the president of the United States in a few months here, I will set a national goal of America and North America, North American energy independence by 2020," Romney said. "That means we produce all the energy we use in North America. And there are a number of things I’m going to do to make that happen. It is achievable. This is not some pie-in-the-sky kind of thing."
You know what is some pie-in-the-sky kind of thing? The hole in the ozone layer. Like a pie, the noticeable lack of protective atmosphere above the U.S. will make you feel warm and turn your cheeks pink. Though, instead of delicious oven-baked cinnamon apple chunks, it'll be due to rising temperatures and instances of skin cancer.
The Romney plan calls for an increase in offshore oil drilling (in places where it's been banned for over 20 years), deregulating the emission standards for coal mining (because mercury poisoning is delicious) and maintaining ethanol quotas (what drought?).
Tags: Energy & Oil, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Republican National Convention