Earlier today, we got a glimpse at the 2007 transcripts of Federal Open Market Committee meetings. As always, the transcripts are replete with "[LAUGHTER]" tags to indicate when the world's most important economic actors broke into giggles while discussing the fate of the global marketplace.
Let's see if Ben Bernanke told any 'Yo Mama' jokes, shall we?
Tags: Ben Bernanke, Economy, Federal Reserve, Timothy Geithner
Few things have divided the nerdo-sphere and punditocracy as much as the proposal to dodge the debt ceiling by minting a trillion-dollar platinum coin and depositing it with the Federal Reserve.
As we make our arguments, it'd be nice if we didn't all join Fox News in beclowning ourselves in the process. Hence this guide.
Tags: Debt, Federal Reserve, Fox News, Money, Treasury Department
The Federal Reserve has announced that it will increase efforts to (in technical terms) make America's money stuff good. In typically spry fashion, Texas congressman and grizzled person Ron Paul is seizing the opportunity to clarify what he thinks of that organization.
His language, though, is surprisingly restrained (for him). Here's a list of 16 words/phrases/treatises not found in his response…
1. "End the Fed."
2. "Audit the Fed."
3. "Hey everybody, let's go burn down the Fed."
Tags: Ben Bernanke, Federal Reserve, Ron Paul
Federal Reserve Chair Ben Bernanke said today in a news conference that the Fed would be will spending $40 billion a month on mortgage-backed securities. $40 billion! A month! Every month until it decides it doesn't want to anymore.
Now, I'm not an economist, but I gathered from the sound of everybody in the conference room's jaws hitting the floor at the same time that this decision is somewhat… aggressive? Maybe. Crazy is maybe closer to what I'm trying to get at. (Pay no attention to the national election two months away behind the curtain!)
Anyway, just to put $40 billion a month into some perspective, here's what the Fed could be purchasing instead of mortgage-backed securities…
Tags: Ben Bernanke, Economy, Federal Reserve, Money
* Larry Wilmore tackles all the easy questions on his new Showtime special "Race, Religion & Sex".
* Fox Nation…just…come on, now. Really?
* Ben Bernanke takes a trip to La La Land.
* Who said it: Michael Scott or Joe Biden?
* If you're feeling bummed today, here's why we all suck.
* Vice columnist Sam McPheeters contemplates the fog of Fox.
* What can we expect in future GOP platforms, from Funny or Die.
* This explains why President Obama's skin is thicker than an elephant's.
* The internet has even more fun with Paul Ryan's high-res Wikipedia picture.
Tags: Barack Obama, College Humor, Daily Links, Federal Reserve, Fox News, Funny or Die, Larry Wilmore, Paul Ryan, Republicans, Sports