Ugh, why are we talking about dairy products instead of the "fiscal cliff?"
Because the fiscal cliff is bullshit. The panic surrounding it has been concocted by media outlets that like countdown clocks a lot more than they like explaining policy. If Congress fails to extend the current tax rates and spending levels before midnight tonight, they can always amend the tax code in January, which means your taxes will go up for two weeks. We will all find a way to get by. Meanwhile, there's a chance you won't be able to afford a milkshake in January, so let's talk about what matters.
Tags: Agriculture, Fiscal Cliff, Food, Tom Vilsack
Mostly, people just looked mad. Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, his tie slightly askew, looked as gloomy as the clouds hovering over the Capitol dome. "I didn't realize how much I didn't want to be here until I got here," said Mr. Schumer, who had taken the red eye from San Francisco, where he had arrived only days earlier to visit his daughter.
Tags: Fiscal Cliff, History, Senate
* This astronaut wrote a Christmas song.
* Hawaii loves their Obaminal Snowman.
* The 2012 coming out party was awesome.
* President Obama loves to embarrass his kids.
* The origin of the teddy bear, from Laughing Squid.
* Relax! I finally found the dumbest article explaining the fiscal cliff.
* The Christmas edition of the Professor Blastoff podcast features Ira Glass.
* From The Onion, Paul Ryan ups Congress' heart rate with a new exercise video.
Tags: Daily Links, Fiscal Cliff, House of Representatives, LGBT, Malia Obama, New Yorker, Sasha Obama, The Onion, Theodore Roosevelt
President Obama's Hawaiian vacation has been rudely interrupted, Speaker John Boehner announced that he would call the House back into session this weekend, and chief senate turtle Mitch McConnell has emerged from his shell to half-heartedly engage in negotiations on forestalling the austerity measures set to hit on January 1st. For regular Americans, this should only mean one thing: it's time to turn governmental incompetence into a celebration and plan your Fiscal Cliff Eve party.
Tags: Debt, Fiscal Cliff, Taxes