* Examiner.com's Dean Chambers lays out a pretty convincing argument that a Mitt Romney landslide victory is "possible." Assuming Romney wins every state in which Obama is currently polling under 50.1, he'd clean up with 353 electoral votes to Obama's 185. Not even close! However, I personally discovered that if every voter in every state that has an "e" in its name casts a write-in vote for former Hollywood Squares center square Paul Lynde, we might just be seeing out first dead gay president in November.
* Kansas' birther Secretary of State Kris Kobach seems to be signaling that Barack Obama may be getting pulled off his state's ballot due to an insufficient number of birth certificates. Losing the 6 electoral votes provided by Kansas — where the President is only trailing Romney by 15% — could prove to be a devastating blow to his re-election math (which incidentally is, I think, illegal in Kansas).
* Obama tried to sneak some pretty unsavory racial junk into a new Spanish language ad. I think maybe he forgot that some people do genuinely speak Spanish.
* It may seem odd that, until today, nobody realized that former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm was a "cute and curvaceous" guest on The Dating Game back in 1978. But you've got to take into account that almost nobody realized she was governor of Michigan from 2003 to 2011. She kinda just flies under the radar.
* Download our free iPhone and iPad app Indecision Election Companion and jump up into the the Peanut Gallery — our liveblog/instant reaction arena — to watch and respond with us as Sen. John McCain discusses the ongoing turbulence in the Middle East on CBS's Face the Nation this Sunday morning.
Tags: Barack Obama, Birthers, Jennifer Granholm, John McCain, Kansas, Michigan, Mitt Romney, Pork Barrel, Television
* Jimmy Fallon nails Bill Clinton in the good way.
* Granholm GIFs! Get 'em while they're hot!
* Highlights and lowlights of the DNC, from The Onion.
* Patton Oswalt has 99 problems, but his money ain't one.
* President Obama has no appetite for No Child Left Behind.
* Get Your War On posts some political stuff on the wall.
* Censorship was very, very necessary this week.
* I'm pretty sure this article was written by Joe Biden.
* I hear President Obama is a nightmare to work with!
* Biden says nothing can top the Summer of '87. Clinton argues '69.
Tags: Daily Links, Jennifer Granholm, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Joe Biden, Patton Oswalt, The Onion
She served as Michigan's Attorney General and later as the sate's first-ever female governor. She's an author and a professor at the University of California at Berkeley. But I'd wager a guess that her most challenging role was as Sarah Palin in Joe Biden's practice debates during the 2008 election cycle. How a person comes back from a head space like that… I just have no idea.
The interview continues after the jump.
The Daily Show airs Monday through Thursday at 11/10c.
Tags: Jennifer Granholm, Jon Stewart, Michigan, The Daily Show, Video
The other day my editor said something to me that made me think of some of the people born in other countries who later became U.S. Politicians. I think it was something like, "Hey, Gladstone, write me up a list of people born in other countries who are now U.S. politicians."
So I set to work without even asking why she made the request. And believe me that was no small task. After all, with the upcoming premiere of Ugly Americans –- a show about monsters who become American citizens — I could hardly concentrate on this article about legal aliens who became American politicians. Also, I've been very busy lately attending therapy for people who accidentally make highly insulting analogies without meaning to.
So without further ado…
It's no small thing to come from Iran — a country currently despised in the U.S. — and get yourself elected Mayor of Beverley Hills, but that's just what Jamshid Delshad did in 2007. How?
First, he told people he's from Persia and not Iran. That conjures images of flying carpets instead of unapproved nuclear weapons programs. Second, as a Persian Jew, Delshad didn't really have a lot in common with Iran's current Muslim-based government. But most importantly, Delshad, unofficially changed his name to "Jimmy." And as anyone will tell you, Americans love politicians named "Jimmy," and we would never elect someone with a name like Barack Hussein Obama.
On second thought, it was probably just the Persia thing.
Ugly Americans premieres on Wednesday, March 17 at 10:30 pm / 9:30 c after an all new South Park.
Tags: Alexander Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, California, Jennifer Granholm, Madeleine Albright, Michigan, Obama Administration, Pete Hoekstra
We finally have an answer to the age-old hypothetical question: "If I'm mayor of the 11th largest city in the country, how many felony counts for perjury, obstruction of justice, misconduct in office, and assaulting a police officer would it take before I have to resign?"
The answer is ten…
Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick pleaded guilty to a pair of felony obstruction charges on Thursday in a sex-and-misconduct scandal and will step down after months of defiantly holding onto his job leading the nation's 11th-largest city.
The plea deal brings to an end a seven-months-long sex scandal that led to felony charges against Kilpatrick and plunged the city, region and state into political chaos….
Kilpatrick had faced 10 felony counts in the two separate criminal cases and could have faced up to 15 years in prison had he been convicted of perjury.
The plea deal was a wise choice for "America's Hip Hop Mayor." The court of public opinion had already indicted him, and further resistance would have led to his removal from office by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, (who looks like she listens to country.)
Kilpatrick apologized to supporters in a press conference, noting that "supporting me has not always been easy, but it has not been boring either." Indeed, in the grand scheme of mayors, Detroiters have had a pretty fun ride with Kilpatrick—especially when you compare him to tedious squares like Ed Koch and Marion Barry.
And there's good news for anyone who fears that life without a justice-obstructing, stripper-hiring, sheriff's-deputy-assaulting, 14,000-lurid-text-message-sending mayor will be too boring to endure…
Kilpatrick is only barred from holding office for five years.
Tags: Jennifer Granholm, Kwame Kilpatrick, Michigan