The end of a lame duck legislative session is always a harried time for state lawmakers as they scramble to pass bills before their terms expire. It's a lot like Cinderella, except instead of dancing with a prince, legislators pass abortion bans. And at term's end, instead of carriages turning back into pumpkins, politicians turn into lobbyists.
So it was in Michigan, where GOP lawmakers, concerned about their diminished majorities in the coming legislative session, stayed up until 4:30 in the morning to pass a raft of legislation for Gov. Rick Snyder's signature.
On top of a right-to-work law Snyder signed on Tuesday, legislators adopted one of the country's most restrictive abortion regulations, renewed an emergency managers law that voters had rejected in a referendum just months before, passed property tax cuts and moved one step closer to re-branding "gun-free" zones as places where the government gives out free guns:
Tags: Abortion, Guns, Michigan, Rick Snyder, State Legislature
This afternoon the Michigan House of Representatives passed two separate "right-to-work" measures covering workers in the private and public sectors, setting the stage for final passage sometime next week.
A fun game for Michigan residents who may be confused by the phrase "right-to-work":
1. If you're unemployed or working part-time, approach Governor Rick Snyder and ask for a job. Claim you're just exercising the right to work. Better yet, walk in to any office you fancy. Do your research. Pick one that has good coffee, not one with a stupid Flavia machine.
2. If anyone calls security, tell them the legislature passed a right-to-work law and you're only following the rules.
3. If that strategy somehow fails, it may be because right-to-work bills are the Grape-Nuts of public policy: they contain neither rights nor work.
Tags: Michigan, Rick Snyder, State Legislature, Unions
It's not just that nice guy next door who kept to himself or everyday household products. Now voting can kill you too…
Ty Houston, 48, a home care registered nurse, was toiling on his absentee ballot Monday afternoon when things got strange at township offices on 13 Mile.
Oooooo, exciting. Like the back cover of a new Stephen King novel!
"I was filling out the form as were an elderly couple sitting at a nearby table," said Houston on Tuesday. "His wife, who was helping him fill out the ballot, asked him a couple of questions but he didn't respond. She screamed for help and I went over to see what I could do."
Now that's how you build suspense! What sort of horrors is this innocent (OR IS HE?) bystander about to witness?
Houston laid the victim on the floor and went to work.
"He was dead," Houston said. "He had no heartbeat and he wasn't breathing. I started CPR, and after a few minutes he revived and started breathing again. He knew his name and his wife's name."
Maybe he has some new special powers since he's seen THE OTHER SIDE. Can he tell us who won the election?
Tags: Barack Obama, Election Day 2012, HysteriaWatch 2012, Michigan, Mitt Romney, Voter Suppression
While heading out to cast your vote, you might want to consider wearing some sort of body armor or protective gear. That is, unless you want to risk punch in the face from a crazed Obama supporter. Breitbart.com reports…
A woman in a Detroit polling location was aggressively campaigning for Obama. A female voter in line objected. The Obama supporter punched the woman in the face. Police came to arrest her and she smacked the cop.
Seems like it would be unfair to assume that this one woman is representative of Obama supporters as a whole. But what the hell?
Stay away from Obama supporters! Your very life may depend upon it!
Tags: Election Day 2012, HysteriaWatch 2012, Michigan
* Examiner.com's Dean Chambers lays out a pretty convincing argument that a Mitt Romney landslide victory is "possible." Assuming Romney wins every state in which Obama is currently polling under 50.1, he'd clean up with 353 electoral votes to Obama's 185. Not even close! However, I personally discovered that if every voter in every state that has an "e" in its name casts a write-in vote for former Hollywood Squares center square Paul Lynde, we might just be seeing out first dead gay president in November.
* Kansas' birther Secretary of State Kris Kobach seems to be signaling that Barack Obama may be getting pulled off his state's ballot due to an insufficient number of birth certificates. Losing the 6 electoral votes provided by Kansas — where the President is only trailing Romney by 15% — could prove to be a devastating blow to his re-election math (which incidentally is, I think, illegal in Kansas).
* Obama tried to sneak some pretty unsavory racial junk into a new Spanish language ad. I think maybe he forgot that some people do genuinely speak Spanish.
* It may seem odd that, until today, nobody realized that former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm was a "cute and curvaceous" guest on The Dating Game back in 1978. But you've got to take into account that almost nobody realized she was governor of Michigan from 2003 to 2011. She kinda just flies under the radar.
* Download our free iPhone and iPad app Indecision Election Companion and jump up into the the Peanut Gallery — our liveblog/instant reaction arena — to watch and respond with us as Sen. John McCain discusses the ongoing turbulence in the Middle East on CBS's Face the Nation this Sunday morning.
Tags: Barack Obama, Birthers, Jennifer Granholm, John McCain, Kansas, Michigan, Mitt Romney, Pork Barrel, Television