Ron Paul. He's either running the Campaign for Liberty or hatching a plan to kidnap Ben Bernanke's dog, but he's certainly no longer running for president.
Yet according to the latest FEC reports, Paul is still outpacing Mitt Romney when it comes to donations from members of the military, even though he hasn't received new contributions since the Summer. Including September's fundraising numbers, Paul has raised $399,274 from members of the armed forces, while Romney has taken in $398,450.
The gap grows even starker when employees of the Department of Defense are excluded, leaving only members of the combat services. Paul roughly doubled Romney's contributions from the U.S. Navy. This despite Romney's promise to equip the Navy with dozens of new warships, while eliminating at least one of Iran's shorelines from the map.
Nevertheless, the overall leader in military donations remains Barack Obama, with $678,611 from military contributors. It's a sign of how deep the rot has set into American society since Obama took office. It used to be only Democrats who didn't support the troops. Now we can't even be sure the troops are supporting the troops.
Photo by T.J. Kirkpatrick/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Tags: Barack Obama, Fundraising, Military, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul
* G.I. Joe shoots into the 21st century.
* The Complete Guide to Everything explains the election.
* Does Joe Biden even need an anger translator?
* LBJ is leading in the polls…I think.
* Stephen Colbert meets the other press.
* Everybody wins the Saturday Night Live VP debate.
* Political cartoons from The New Yorker for your high brow.
* Second City takes on the potential second in command.
* Andrew Sullivan's Obama meltdown, as interpreted through gifs.
* The Endeavor Space Shuttle has suddenly decided it needs plastic surgery.
Tags: Andrew Sullivan, Barack Obama, Daily Links, Funny or Die, Joe Biden, Lyndon Johnson, Military, Mitt Romney, NASA, Paul Ryan, Saturday Night Live, The New Yorker, The Onion
You may have noticed an odd feeling this election cycle. It's kind of hard to put your finger on, but it's kind of like an absence of a beige-ish grayness. That's the sensation of not having Ralph Nader running for office for the first time since forever.
Though, he's still doing his best be a part of the debate. At least, to the degree to which he ever was…
On issues related to the military and foreign policy, Obama’s worse than Bush, "in the sense that he’s more aggressive, more illegal worldwide," Nader told Politico, going so far as to call Obama a "war criminal."…
"He's gone beyond George W. Bush in drones, for example. He thinks the world is his plate, that national sovereignties mean nothing, drones can go anywhere. They can kill anybody that he suspects and every Tuesday he makes the call on who lives and who dies, supposed suspects in places like Yemen and Pakistan and Afghanistan, and that is a war crime and he ought to be held to account."…
Tags: Barack Obama, Corporations, Military, Mitt Romney, Ralph Nader
* I support the electoral rap battle, from Funny or Die.
* RNC fashion highs and lows.
* Bill Nye talks about the devolution of creationism.
* Republicans taking pictures with celebrities (mostly Jon Voight).
* Mitt and Paul try to solve the case of the out of place hair.
* And you thought McKayla Maroney wasn't impressed…
* Ann Romney left everyone speechless last night, from The Onion.
Tags: Barack Obama, Conan O'Brien, Daily Links, Evolution, Funny or Die, Military, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Republican National Convention, The Onion, Victoria Jackson
* Mitt Romney is a hero in this guy's mind. What else do you need?
* Romney's VP writing assignment.
* What kind of American do you speak?
* Finally, a onesie for Republican babies.
* This is what happens when Marines need to blow off steam.
* How Mitt Romney intends to pimp the White House, from College Humor.
* Baracksdubs has once again turned the President's speeches into pop art.
Tags: Daily Links, Guns, Military, Mitt Romney, Republicans, The Onion, White House