Romney continues to paint himself into a corner while the internet nips at his heels…
Watching Romney’s reps spin this thing is like at the end of your Tetris game when the music changes & the blocks start dropping real fast.
— Jensen Karp (@JensenClan88) September 18, 2012
GOP back-up plans: 1. Frame Obama for murder, have Romney solve crime 2. Have Romney adopt adorable red-headed orphan 3. Brainwash ray(?)
— Dorian Lynskey (@Dorianlynskey) September 18, 2012
Tags: Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Tweet Untweet, Twitter
* If you missed anything this week, here's an overview from The Onion.
* This NY Times puff piece on Mitt Romney isn't so puffy.
* Americans used to be record holders, but not anymore.
* Money can officially grow on trees, via Laughing Squid.
* Mother Jones speculates about the classes at "Newt University".
Tags: Daily Links, Michelle Obama, Mother Jones, New York Times, Newt Gingrich, Patriotism, Republican National Convention, The Daily Show, The Onion, Wonkette
After Rick Santorum has endorsed Mitt Romney in the 13th paragraph of a late-night email and George W. Bush endorsed him through the closing doors of an elevator, Newt Gingrich upped the ante with his "I don't particularly dislike him as a person" tribute to the Republican nominee. It's all part of a broader phenomenon of Mittsanity that takes hold whenever Republican politicians try to articulate the inspiring dynamo that is Romney…
1. "I do think it's time for the party to get behind Gov. Romney. And she was reminding me Kenny Rogers sang, 'It's time when to hold 'em and time when to fold 'em.' Well I think it’s time for people to all get behind this good man." – George H. W. Bush
2. "So I'm not completely misunderstood…I'm not as excited as I am desperate." – Rep. Louie Gohmert
3. "Now Mitt is not a perfect candidate…He has a number of problems. It's hard for blue-collar families like mine to identify with him. It's hard for economic conservatives to identify with him. He needs to do more to reach out to the Latino community." – George Pataki
4. "I think he might turn out to make a surprisingly good president." – Newt Gingrich
5. "I'm for Mitt Romney." – George W. Bush, behind closing elevator doors.
Maybe it's just as well that Romney isn't strongly associated with unsavory characters like Bush and Gingrich, I mean, he's running for President for Pete's sake.
Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Tags: George H.W. Bush, George Pataki, George W. Bush, Louie Gohmert, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich
Newt Gingrich offers one of his trademark hyperbolic endorsements for GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney…
"I don't particularly dislike him as a person."
Gee. I wasn't really on board with Romney as a candidate before, but I don't know. I think I might be a convert now.
I mean, how can you not be, after that?
Tags: Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Quote Unquote
Newt Gingrich will not have a speaking role at this year's Republican National Convention, so if you derive satisfaction from being sternly talked down to by a tubby older gentleman, you are going to have to pay for that, you sickos.
Unless, that is, you find yourself in a series of workshops the Romney campaign has nicknamed Newt University. According to the New York Times, Gingrich hopes to avoid sowing any discord at the Party's gathering in Tampa, instead focusing "on preparing his lesson plans for Newt University."
What profound, fundamental learning will be found in the syllabi of Newt U? Because the available courses are being kept hidden in a vault on a secret moon base, it is anyone's guess. Including mine…
Tags: Newt Gingrich, Republican National Convention