* There's no such thing as bad publicity. Just ask Solyndra.
* Sixty-two years of global warming in 13 seconds is scary.
* Zero-G fingernail clipping is not an X Games event.
* The son on Homeland is not going to turn out well.
* The BBC is looking for a few good transgender roles.
* Polaroid pictures of President Obama's inauguration.
* The Queen's castle guards shouldn't have to yell this twice.
* This creationist obviously didn't pay attention in biology class.
* A swell new magazine from music writer Maura Johnston–it fits in your pocket!
Tags: Barack Obama, Charles Darwin, Climate Change, Conan O'Brien, Creationism, Daily Links, England, Inauguration, LGBT, Louisiana, NASA, Queen Elizabeth II, Religion, Science & Technology, Solyndra, Terrorism, The New York Times, The Onion
* Sarah Silverman and Jim Gaffigan talk space with Neil deGrasse Tyson.
* The Petraeus Files: All the Photos, Chats, Poems, and Other Super-Secret Emails They Don't Want You to See, by Ted Travelstead, for your Kindle.
* A new idea in energy that lives off the grid.
* A visual guide to President Obama analogies.
* The Onion sits down with a terrorism grant winner.
* It's comedian Todd Glass's one year coming-out party.
* Dan Deacon reminds us what America looks like.
* When to tell your sex partner about your Civil War figurines.
* Congratulations to Donald Trump for exposing everyone's hatred of him.
Tags: Civil War, Daily Links, David Petraeus, Donald Trump, Energy & Oil, John Boehner, LGBT, NASA, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sarah Silverman, Terrorism, The New York Times, The Onion, Todd Glass
Despite condemnation from Speaker of the House John Boehner and her former campaign manager Ed Rollins ("Having worked for Congressman Bachman's campaign for president, I am fully aware that she sometimes has difficulty with her facts, but this is downright vicious and reaches the late Senator Joe McCarthy level"), Michele Bachmann is not backing down from her claim that people with ties to Muslim extremists have infiltrated the federal government.
John McCain even brought back the 2001 version of John McCain to rebuke Bachmann's accusations against Huma Abedin, an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Bachmann's intransigence suggests that either she's been hitting the HPV vaccine a little too hard lately or she's trying to distract attention from her own links to extremist individuals, including one Michele Bachmann. There's evidence all around, including her aborted attempt to claim citizenship from a foreign country. Most damningly, Middle East expert Juan Cole has tied her to the very Muslim extremist groups she purports to oppose…
1. Bachmann is a major supporter of the MEK, a terrorist Islamic group that participated in the infamous Iranian Hostage crisis (taking US diplomats hostage) in 1979. The MEK was formed as a mixture of Marxism and Muslim fundamentalism, and was influenced by Sayyid Qutb, a major thinker of the Muslim Brotherhood. But Bachmann wants them removed from the US terrorist list.
2. Bachmann has repeatedly called for Obama to intervene in Syria to overthrow the current secular government. The main opposition, which Bachmann supports, is the Muslim Brotherhood, which would likely come to power, as they have in Egypt.
3. Bachmann supports the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan. One of the major groups making up the Alliance is the Afghanistan branch of the Muslim Brotherhood.
See, it's easy to impugn peoples' reputations using guilt by association. You didn't build that technique of character assassination, Michele Bachmann. Somebody else did that.
Photo by Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
Tags: Islam, Michele Bachmann, Terrorism
Earlier this week we covered a U.S. government study reporting on the threat of killer furniture. According to government statistics, roughly as many Americans are killed annually by unstable furniture and falling televisions as are killed in terrorist attacks. In honor of the annual National Counter Terrorism Center report, here are 10 more things you can be terrified of…
1. 16 oz sodas – At least 26,000 deaths per year are attributed directly to obesity. Way more purple hearts issued in the obesity wars than in the anti-terror ones.
2. The Transportation Security Administration - The increased inconvenience of going through airport security increases automobile deaths due to people deciding to drive instead of fly by 500 per year. On the bright side, a TSA security check is the most action many soda-guzzling Americans are ever going to get.
3. Your Bathroom – Nearly 9,000 bathroom-related fatalities were reported in 1999.
Tags: Health, Terrorism
Glenn Greenwald on the fallout from the War on Terror…
"Given the ongoing American quest for violence from that one-day attack [9/11], just imagine the impact which continuous attacks over the course of a full decade must have on those whom we’ve been invading, droning, cluster-bombing, occupying, detaining without charges, and indiscriminately shooting."
Yeah, but… those other people are foreign. They're foreigners from foreign places. Science hasn't even proven that they have souls.
So, it's really not the same thing.
Tags: 9/11, Afghanistan, Glenn Greenwald, Iraq, Military, Quote Unquote, Terrorism