It's never been clear what made President Obama such a fervent fan of the HBO series The Wire. Certainly, his administration didn't take the show's criticism of the drug war to heart.
But thanks to the ACLU, which forced the government to reveal the scale of its surveillance activities even though federal agencies are obligated to report their activities voluntarily, we finally have our answer: Obama is just a big fan of wiretaps.
As seen in the above chart displaying the number of people subject to pen register and trap and trace surveillance, more people have been affected by techniques that allow the government to capture incoming and outgoing phone numbers and email addresses in the past two years than in the entire previous decade.
With the bar set this slow, surely, Mitt Romney at least promises to be a better civil libertarian than the current president…
Tags: Barack Obama, Civil Rights, Mitt Romney, Torture
"I respect the vice president. He and I had strong disagreements as to whether we should torture people or not. I don't think we should have."
It's always nice when Sen. McCain lets his integrity out for some fresh air every now and again.
Tags: Dick Cheney, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Torture, Veepstakes
Noam Chomsky compare our two most recent Commanders-in-Chief…
"If the Bush administration didn't like somebody, they'd kidnap them and send them to torture chambers. If the Obama administration decides they don't like somebody, they murder them."
On the down side, we're slowly turning into an unrecognizable dystopian mirror of everything we have long claimed to despise. On the plus side, though, we're getting more streamlined.
Tags: Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Noam Chomsky, Quote Unquote, Torture
* Michele Bachmann says allowing herself to be waterboarded would be "absurd." Thus ends the dream.
* Bachmann faces tough questions from Iowa students whose heads have clearly been polluted with "education" and cripple by "critical thinking."
* Rick Perry is looking to expand his debate-losing horizons.
* Ron Paul says the American people will punish the GOP if it agrees to acquiesces to demands from the American people to increase taxes on the wealthy.
Tags: Debates, Education, House of Representatives, Iowa, Michele Bachmann, Nancy Pelosi, Pork Barrel, Rick Perry, Ron Paul, Taxes, Torture
* Imagine there's no Mike Tyson/Herman Cain parodies. I wonder if you can? From Funny or Die.
* Are we paying too much for torture? The Onion investigates.
* This Modern World looks back on who the "Not Mitt Romney" ghost has inhabited.
* Everything Old is Newt Again: Gingrich slogans from National Lampoon.
* Rick Perry can still turn it around, or at least give us more comedy fodder.
* If I had to guess, I'd say he's playing the blues.
Tags: Barack Obama, Daily Links, Funny or Die, Herman Cain, Mike Tyson, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Pentagon, Primaries, Rick Perry, The Onion, Torture